Thursday 6 May 2010

Writer's Workshop - Memories of mom...

For my 5th Writer's Workshop, I'm choosing this prompt:

"4.) Memories of mom."

For this week's prompt, I am going to recycle one of my earlier post about memories of my mum... It was written and posted on 11th January this year, exactly 3 years since my mum passed away. Here it goes...

Lots of things have changed in this 3 years... I've moved out of our family house (where I spent 2 decades living there), got engaged, got married (after almost 10 years going out with my now hubby), got a better paying job, shift back to the previous job with a much better paying offer, got pregnant, delivered a boy, quit my job and now a full time mummy...

All this happened just in 3 years and my dearest mum is not around to see it... :( So here goes a list of items I remember about you, mum…

* I remember… how delicious is your fish dishes… till today, I still can’t find anybody who can cook the fish dishes as good as you…
And NOW, I regret… not learning how to cook it when you are still alive…

* I remember… you waking up early to boil eggs or made me lime juice whenever I start to have sore throat symptoms…
And NOW, I missed the times when I see a mug with steaming hot lime juice or or boiled eggs waiting for me...

* I remember…when I was 12 years old and my broken right arm is healing and you waited for me to finish school so that you can bring me over to Big Aunt’s house for my weekly dose of Chinese medicine and you wrapped my arm with the 4 straight sticks wrapped in cotton cloth to protect my arm.
And NOW, I don’t mind having to drink and having my right arm bandaged with the dried insects and Chinese herbs medicine just so that I can relive all these memories of you taking care of me again...

* I remember…breaking my right arm AGAIN at home trying to climb up the double-decker bed and you thought I saw cockroaches on my bed… and your horrified face when you saw my arms broke AGAIN (this time with the privilege of seeing how it looks like when it broke!)
And NOW, despite the pain that I had then, I wouldn’t mind breaking it again just so that I get to ride a cab at night (a luxury during those times!) with both my parents fussing over me and rushing the driver to reach my Big Aunt’s place ASAP!

* I remember… when I was in primary school, the countless trips I had with you to your hometown (an ex-coal mine area called Batu Arang) during school holidays and how I slept on your lap throughout the journey...
And NOW, it has been years since I last go back to your hometown... there's nothing left there to go back to anyway...

* I remember…when I was small, how I used to follow you to your friend’s house and watched you guys played mahjong...
And NOW, I can proudly say I’m quite a good mahjong player though I still can’t figure out how to add the points (cos I was used to watch how people play and too young to understand how they count the points)

* I remember... having you tying my hair into cute braids... even when I’m already old enough to tie my own hair... its just that you tied it so well and nice...
And NOW, I hope… I can do the same for my daughter(s??) next time…

* I remember…getting scolded by you when I got carried away with my karaoke jamming session in my own room.. ok, ok, I ain’t no Kelly Clarkson or Sarah McLachlan or Dixie Chicks…
But NOW, if only I can hear you scold and nag me again…

* I remember…during your last few moments on earth, I get to tell you how much I love you , how much you’re loved by all of us, how you’ll always be remembered by us, and I get to thank and ask for your forgiveness for all these years..

* I remember… how shocked I was when I found out you had said the sinner’s prayer cos I never thought it would happen… and how happy I was that you choose to be saved and realised that before its too late…

* I remember… that hubby (then boyfriend) and I told you bible stories when you were in hospital…and how awkward it was because I’m good in speaking Cantonese but being a new Christian, I am not very knowledgeable and hence lousy in interpreting the parables and hubby was the opposite of me (lousy in speaking Cantonese but good in interpreting the parables)…

* I remember…how we both struggled just to tell you how Jesus was born, baptised, the hardship, crucified, etc etc…But at the end of it all, I remember how ecstatic we were when we ended with prayers and hearing you saying ‘Amen’… and getting to tell you that Jesus loves you and will not let you suffer any longer...

Mum, I never would’ve wished for any other mum but you… I thank God that I had a great mum like you!

Please take care of dad and watch over us from heaven... I love you both... ALWAYS and FOREVER... and I pray that we'll see each other again in heaven... Amen...

Photobucket

10 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

I remember reading this post before--great choice to use for the Mama Kat's Workshop this week.

Visiting from Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. We used this prompt too!

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Hi Karen!

Wow! You remembered? Thank you for dropping by! I'll check out yours after this! :D

Hey Java!
OooooooO!!! Thank you for the award! One more to add to my collection! Thank you for thinking of me! :)

Unknown said...

Precious memories of your mother - thank you for sharing with us.

I am glad to know that both your mother and father accepted Christ before their death. Isn't it amazing what an awesome God we serve?!

I would love to hear your testimony of how you came to be a Christian one day. I haven't looked to see if you have written about here before. Maybe I should go do that now.

Thanks for blessing me!

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Hi Katie!

Yes! Our God is an awesome God!

Hmmm... my testimony? Honestly speaking, I could only remember bits and pieces, but one of the reasons is because a lot of things I asked for, had been answered! And that was before I even accepted Him! And my granma's death made me more determined to be a Christian!

cheri said...

i think the saddest is that your mum was never able to meet your baby...

but i think you've made her very happy. every memory, whether good or bad, brings happiness. at the end of the day, what's important is thaw we remembered.

wandering in from the workshop :)

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Hi cheri!

Thanks for coming back again! :)

Yes, I do feel the saddest thing is my mum and dad never get to see my boy. I know they would've love him to bits!

And yes, all memories I have of her, I will cherish all my life. I hope to see them in heaven one day!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

This is the sweetest and saddest post. It brought tears to my eyes.

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Hi Allison @ Alli 'n Son!

Thanks for visiting! Have a blessed day ahead! :)

Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life said...

This post made me sad and happy! Beautiful memories, great post!

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Thanks Cindy! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

I'm a full-time mummy Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez | Distributed by Deluxe Templates