Monday 3 May 2010

Is There a DR Plan in Your Life?

Last month, a number of my ex-colleagues from the bank I used to work for posted in their Facebook status about being so tired and sleepy and stress during the bank's recent DR exercise.

For those of who you are not familiar with the term DR (normally used in my previous line of work which is IT) it actually stands for Disaster Recovery. You can click at the term, it will link you to wikipedia for further explanation on DR. In short, it's a way for big companies to manage and still continue their businesses in the event something fails. From something major like terrorism, earthquakes, fires, floods to something less severe like no electricity or hardware failures.

Anyway, like I said earlier, in my previous line of work, we did a lot of DR exercises before. One of my previous job was in banking industry and boy oh boy... the number of DR exercises we have to conduct in a year... from the application DR, to nationwide DR, to DR between Malaysia and the HQ in Singapore... all these DR exercises required weeks of planning and discussions on how to best continue the business in the event something fails.

Now, I'm not going to talk about the DR in my previous jobs. I'm going to talk about the DR in our life. Now, before you go on thinking DR is only applicable for businesses or companies or those working in IT line, think again. It's actually the same logic.

Consider our life as the business or company. If something in our life fails, can we or our loved ones continue on? So, here is where our DR should come into picture. Now, is there a DR plan in your life? I sure hope your DR plan doesn't go like this:
;D Funny, yes... but let's get back to being serious here...

If you think this topic is too serious or boring for you, feel free to click the X button and hop out of this blog.

If you think this topic is too far ahead and nothing bad is going to happen to you now, oh well... I just want to say, nobody knows what is going to happen tomorrow, and I do hope you stay and read on.

So, is there a DR plan in your life?

Now that I am a SAHM and only have my hubby's income to rely on, we have to think of our DR plan should anything happens to either or both of us.
Things like insurance, will, education etc etc...

Will there be someone else who will be able to help take care of your family and children if you are gone?
What about their food, clothes, expenses, education, etc etc?
Are you going to leave your loved ones with your debts to settle (like home loans etc etc)?

At the moment, both hubby and I are insured, hubby more cos' he's the sole income earner for the family. The house we are staying in now belongs to my MIL so we don't have to worry about settling any home loans. The car hubby owns are paid for in cash years ago. We don't have any outstanding loans or debts in our names. Our retirement funds are OK for now...

Now, the above are earthly things to plan on.

What about life after death?

My oh my... I am thinking further and further... but, yeah... how about our DR plan after death?
Are we doing enough to deserve an entry to heaven?
Will we be able to see our loved ones again?

Tell me your thoughts on this...

Photobucket

8 comments:

Unknown said...

:-)

Do I deserve life on the "other side"? No. Not by any means do I DESERVE anything.

But by GRACE through faith in Jesus Christ - I have eternal salvation.

For God so loved the WHOLE world that he gave his only begotten son that WHOEVER believed in him would not perish but have everlasting life.

I put my faith in Jesus Christ - that he died on the cross to save me from my sins and to provide a way out for me - so that my sin was forgiven upon my acceptance and acknowledgement of what he had done & my faith in him. So now...although not perfect, nor will I ever be...I have the assurance of eternal life with Jesus Christ in Heaven!

So that is my DR....I have no concerns about eternity. I know just where I will be and with whom. My Jesus!

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Hi Katie!

That is such a wonderful testament! Praise God!

Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life said...

Awesome post! I do like the funny comic in there also. It is most interesting to think about a DR plan in life. Right now ours is a little hard also, I am a SAHM (mostly--I work now and then)...so things are not a perfectly set up as we would like them to be, but we are working on it.

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Hi Cindy!

Thanks for dropping by and glad you enjoyed this post. I used to have that Dilbert DR comic as my desktop wallpaper when I was still working in IT line ;p

Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life said...

My husband loves Dilbert, my husband is kind of a computer guy!!

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Ooo really? I love Dilbert too! Had two of his books :D

thirdy_smom said...

Oh, DR! had those calls before for Walmart backups! hehe :P

anyway, do I have a DR plan for my life? Well, not really for me I am more into making DR plans for Tri. health cards, insurance, time deposit, name it. But most important of all, I am investing enough knowledge to pass on Tri--the same type of knowledge my Dad gave me to survive teen age life and now, my life as an adult. Faith in God is the key to survival.

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Hey Anne!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Yes, faith in God is the key to survival! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

I'm a full-time mummy Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez | Distributed by Deluxe Templates