Monday 31 May 2010

2 Year Old Smoking 40 Cigarettes Daily!

Just read from the newspaper about this 2 year old toddler who is smoking 40 cigarettes a day! My God, what is wrong with his parents?! I mean, 40 cigarettes?! A two year old?! If anyone even dares to smoke around me (and ESPECIALLY when Ben is with me) I'd glared at the person and started flappping papers and stuff at the smoker's direction to get rid of the smoke. Already second hand smoking is dangerous and hazardous enough... and to read about this toddler doing 40 cigarettes a day?! SHOCKING and SPEECHLESS...

Toddler smokes 40 cigarettes a day!
Indo-Asian News Service
London, May 27, 2010
First Published: 20:00 IST(27/5/2010)

Ardi Rizal is just a two-year-old boy, but is not less than a chain smoker.

Rizal who lives in a fishing village Musi Banyuasin, Indonesia, smokes at least 40 cigarettes in a day. He got addicted to smoking after his father gave him a fag when he was just 18 months, reports thesun.co.uk.

He weighs more than 25 kilograms and finds it almost impossible to run with other kids.

"He's totally addicted. If he doesn't get cigarettes, he gets angry and screams and batters his head against the wall. He tells me he feels dizzy and sick," said her mother Daina.

Rizal smokes a particular brand and his habit costs his parents more than $5 a day.

The officials of the village have offered to buy the family a car if he quits.

However Rizal's father Mohammed, a fishmonger finds no problem with his habit and believes his son is quite healthy.

"He looks pretty healthy to me. I don't see the problem," said Mohammed.

(Photo Credit: The Sun)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That father is an idiot! Such a tragedy in the making.

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Hey Polly!

Welcome back! Long time no see! :D
Yeah... the parents are so irresponsible! :(

Jenn said...

Good grief!! I just can't wrap my head around this one. Why is the poor child still with the parents? Of course he has tantrums when he doesn't get any cigarettes!!

a) he's a toddler, duh. Of course he's gonna have tantrums
b) HELLO, cigarettes are extremely addictive in adults, let alone a child. He's addicted to it and has no idea!!

Give the poor kid anxiety meds and wean him off the smokes, than the drugs. This just absolutely makes my blood boil!!! And I am a former smoker and would never have dreamed of smoking around my kids when I did! It was my 'fault' I didn't need to harm my innocent children because of it.

cheri said...

i saw this on the evening news and i started to wheeze just watching it.

i dont think the parents are just irresponsible; they're uneducated to the effects of this addiction.

let's hope this kid reaches his 20th birthday...

Mommylebron said...

I couldn't believe this when I saw it! I don't believe being educated about the dangers should even be the issue. It's a baby smoking!! I mean, who does that?? Does ANYONE really need to be TOLD "Yeah, a smoking baby is really not a good idea."?
Sad, sad, sad.
BTW, I'm gonna link this post up to my Monday Mentions....
xoxo

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Hi Jenn!
Yeah, you're so right! Even I throw tantrums if I don't get to eat McDonalds! (OK, not a good example but I love it :P) But you know the weirdest thing is "The officials of the village have offered to buy the family a car if he quits." Oh wow... I get a car if my child smokes?! What's wrong with people nowadays?!

Hey cheri!
Apparently this new are few days old but I just found out about it today. And it's the 2nd case in Indonesia already! I hope the parents come to their senses and do something about this! FAST!

Hello MissMom2U!
Let me know when you've linked it up so that I can visit you back! :D

Shareen Mohd Saleh said...

I saw the video on youtube. I guess this is what happens when people lack education. I feel so bad for the child. Pretty healthy? I don't think so!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

I'm a full-time mummy Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez | Distributed by Deluxe Templates