Tuesday 18 May 2010

What Were Their Parents Thinking?!

Came across this article from MamaKat's blog. Thought of sharing it as well... The entire text article are from her blog except the video of the performance at the end, which I do not want to include here. Too depressing watching it..

7 Year Old Girls Controversial Dance Routine
Posted May 17 2010 1:57pm

When Beyonce sings and dances to a song called Single Ladies it’s age appropriate and sends a message loud and clear that tells grown women if you’re not getting what you want out of a relationship, than move on.

When seven year old girls slap on satin and lace hooker outfits and dance to Single Ladies, takes on a whole new meaning. “Up in the club, we just broke up
I’m doing my own little thing
you Decided to dip but now you wanna trip
Cuz another brother noticed me
I’m up on him, he up on me
dont pay him any attention
cuz i cried my tears, GAVE three good years
Ya can’t be mad at me”

Seven year old girls are not supposed to be gyrating and pelvic thrusting to songs about clubs and being up on anyone.

“Cuz if you liked it then you should have put a ring on it
If you liked it then you shoulda put a ring on it
Don’t be mad once you see that he want it
If you liked it then you shoulda put a ring on it”

Seven year old girls are not supposed to be shimmying about rings or who should and should not be putting one on them.

“I got gloss on my lips, a man on my hips
hold me tighter than my Dereon jeans
acting up, drink in my cup
I couldnt care less what you think
I need no permission, did I mention
Dont pay him any attention
Cuz you had your turn
But now you gonna learn
What it really feels like to miss me”

Seven year old girls are not supposed to be dressed provocatively while shaking their asses to songs about men “on their hips”, or tight jeans, or drinks, or making men miss them by moving on to other men.

“Don’t treat me to the things of this world
I’m not that kind of girl
Your love is what I prefer, what I deserve
Is a man that makes me, then takes me
And delivers me to a destiny, to infinity and beyond
Pull me into your arms
Say I’m the one you WANT
If you don’t, you’ll be alone
And like a ghost I’ll be gone”

Seven year old girls are supposed to “prefer” Disneyland and Pet Pals and Toy Story…not a man that takes her “to infinity and beyond”…unless we’re talking about Buzz Light Year. And that’s where I draw the line.

This?

I seriously think this is totally inappropriate and am not sure what (or whether anything) went on the minds of those girls' parents...

21 comments:

Hannah Gold said...

Call me old fashioned, but no way on G-d's green earth wold I let my daughter do this!

These parents are not thinking.

http://keepitsimplesister-mommymommymommy.blogspot.com/

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Hello mommymommymommy!

Yeah, exactly! They are not thinking! How could they let their child do that? I mean, I could understand if a small child is not capable to make decisions like this (or may not know right and wrong) but as parents, you should know better right?

Anyway, thanks for dropping by! :)

cheri said...

and we wonder why sexual predators abound...

Maggie S said...

I totally agree...Happy SITS day.

BLOGitse said...

Thank you!
I agree 100% with you!
These girls don't understand what they're doing
BUT
their parents do!
And what those parents tell us: it's okay to be a sex object, it's okay to start before your're old enough to understand what it means to be a sex object...
Oh, boy...how adults can be so stupid and selfish - trying to get fame using their girls as sex objects! Come on! Wake up!

BLOGitse

Laura said...

One of the girl's parents were on Good Morning America (or one of those news shows) trying to defend the dance saying all dancers wear lace & sequins, and I'm thinking "yeah, but there bodies are covered & they aren't doing pelvic thrusts". Totaling wrong!

Happy SITS Day!

Carissa Mason said...

I watched this video on youtube about a week ago and it disturbed me to the point that I couldn't sleep. So, what else could I do but blog about it? You can read that post here:
www.carissamason.blogspot.com
I enjoyed your blog!! Congrats on your SITS day!!

Expats Again said...

Breaks my heart to see this.

Jenny said...

I actually saw this on MammaKats blog as well and was mortified! Who on Earth would think it is appropriate for little girls to dance around like that? Craziness!

Unknown said...

Happy SITS Feature Day!

I have to agree. Not only what where the parents thinking, but what was the dance instructor thinking, putting together a routine like this & choosing these outfits? Totally inappropriate for these girls. Fine for Beyonce, she's an adult & this is adult subject matter. Not ok for little girls.

Kate Pantier @ Mommy Monologues said...

OMG! What will they be wearing when they are 16? Or when they are 20?

Mz-Cellaneous said...

For me it wasn't one particular thing that put it over the line. The outfits are bigger than beach wear, but why the need for thigh high socks?

The dance moves were actually very good, but why the need to spread their legs.

Singing along, not so bad, but do they even know what they are singing? Not to mention the facial expressions that went with them.

I watched the Beyonce video for the first time for that, and not only did it seem less risque, she had more clothes on.

Sigh.

Amy said...

After reading the comments I won't even go look at the video, I am sure the sexual predators have watched it enough for all of us.
Parents are clueless sometimes. It might be "cute" in their twisted mind, but when these girls are in Middle school and high school they will be the ones dressed overly provocative for school.
I guess when we say "who would let their child dress like that?" we now know.
Anyways....Happy sits Day.

Crafty Like Lindy said...

Visiting from SITS and you are so right! Seeing those costumes just made me sick. I have a nine year old daughter and I let her sing along to the songs on the radio but I would NEVER EVER let her display herself like that. What parent in there right mind would agree to let a child dress like that???

April said...

I saw this on the news and was sick to my stomach.

Kayleigh said...

I haven't seen this video yet, but I saw these same girls dance to "my boyfriend's back" and it was SUPER INAPPROPRIATE!

Props to them for being such amazing little girls, but someone needs to grab up their parents and shake them. And the dance instructor too! What kind of girls are we raising these days....

SITS

Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life said...

I did not see this video, but I heard about it and now seeing the photo I can not agree anymore, SOO very inappropriate!!! It is sad what parents allow their children to see these days...

Ronnica said...

The thing is, those girls are super talented. But that's what they are/will be known for...they'll be known for their age-inappropriate routine (that I would argue wouldn't be appropriate EVER).

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Hi cheri, Jenny & Expats Again!
Yeah... agree!

Hi Maggie S!
Thanks for dropping by! My SITS day was awesome! :D

Hello BLOGitse!
Thanks for the follow on Twitter! And yes, kids don't know better but their parents do! Sigh...

Hi Laura!
What?! I don't think defending their act is a good option. They should apologize and admit their mistake!

Hello Carissa!
I stopped the video after few seconds. Too depressing like you said. Thanks for your wish and glad you enjoyed my blog! :)

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Hi samsstuff & just another Belle!
Oh yeah. Now that you put it that way... all these people have a hand in this too, not just the parents! Sigh...

Hi Kate & Ronnica!
I shudder at the thought of that! They'd forever be remembered / famous for the wrong reasons... :(

Hi Amy!
Cute can be in angelic costumes as well... not in those revealing whatever piece of clothes they have on...

Hi Lana & April!
Sighing with you as well...

Hi CraftyLikeLindy & Cindy!
Even if the costumes are worn by adults, I would've shuddered as well.. what more 7 year olds?!

Unknown said...

Hi!

It's one of the craziest thing a parent can ask his/her child to! Sadly, this trend is growing. I have seen a reality TV show that showed a small girl dancing seductively and you have adults as audiences cheering away.From where I come, there is a craze for youngsters to become popular artists, so I guess parents are encouraging this sort of acts as an easy way to stardom and getting rich faster. Simply selfish!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

I'm a full-time mummy Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez | Distributed by Deluxe Templates